Friday, February 14, 2014

Strawberry Valentine

Happy Valentine's day. That means sweets galore. Chocolate things, tart things, fruity things, and so much more. The possibilities are endless. Which is great for me since that is Josh's favorite food group of all time. Have I mentioned all the king cakes and pies? I'm pretty sure on his death bed, sweets would be his last meal choice.  Needless to say, his Valentines day wouldn't be complete without a little sweet treat. And what kind of Valentine would I be if I didn't indulge him a little? It is a holiday after all.

This year I opted for the tart route. It tends to be a preference of his for candy. So a big box of "sweet-tarts" is what I got him. Nothing fancy and sadly, nothing homemade. There was just no time this year. Let's be honest though, as long as it's a sweet, he doesn't really care where it comes from. Bonus for me!

In previous years though, when I can make something home-made, one of my bigger hits was a heart shaped strawberry pizza. It was gone by the end of the day. I'm pretty sure pink icing was caked in his beard for the better part of the day. Not a crumb was left. 

 

STRAWBERRY PIZZA
-adapted from Pillsbury
Ingredients
1 roll of Pillsbury sugar cookie dough
1 8 oz package cream cheese, at room temp
1 tub of cool whip, at room temp
1/2 cup sugar
1 box strawberry gelatin
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 quart strawberries, cut into slices
*optional-strawberry extract

Directions
  1. Spread the cookie dough on the bottom of a pan (heart shaped pan, jelly roll pan, really just any low pan with sides.
  2. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. (I do mine for 9-10 cause I like my cookies chewy)
  3. Let cool completely. Otherwise, you will have a runny stick mess on your hands. And a cookie that doesn't look to appealing.
  4. Beat the cream cheese and sugar together (either with a hand mixer or stand mixer).
  5. Add the vanilla extract and beat again.
  6. Gently fold in the tub of cool whip
  7. Add half of a bag of strawberry gelatin to the icing mixture and give it a good stir. It will turn a pretty shade of pink.
  8. Since I like my icing to really taste like strawberries, I add about a 1/4-1/2 tsp of strawberry extract. Just a small splash. And mix it in
  9. Spread the icing mixture over the cooled cookie.
  10. Top with strawberries. However you want to arrange them. Don't worry about it being to pretty, the whole thing will be gone before you know it! No one will even remember the design.
I'm pretty sure if Josh thought this was an option for his V-Day sweet this year, he would have been disappointed in the sweet-tarts. But what he doesn't know won't kill him. There is always next year!

It's always such a hit item that I often make it in a regular round pan and bring it to all kinds of events. Just make sure you have the recipe on hand as you will be asked for it. Multiple times. You will quickly turn into someone's favorite person. Someone even told me that they now ask for that on their birthday instead of cake.

Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment