Sunday, February 9, 2014

Dirty Dishes or Dirty Grill

After a long weekend of attending a business trip out of town, the last thing I want to do is cook and clean once I get home. I hardly want to unpack my suitcase yet alone do the dishes. I can be lazy, what can I say. And let's be honest here, the hubs (although he tries bless his heart) just doesn't clean the way I do. So when the one question I've been trying to avoid all day comes up, I panick! Josh loves to cook and it's something we enjoy doing together. Sunday's are our big all day cooking days after all. Just not Sundays after a long business trip. So then, what's for dinner he asks? Beef bourgnon? Pasta bolognes? Coqauvin? He just keeps pulling out his favorite Sunday one pot meals, and after each one a bead of sweat starts to form. I can just visualize all those dishes. It's not like we cook with pristine ease here. We are more like Texas tornadoes sweeping through the kitchen with wild vengeance. So I begin to rack my brain for a solution he not only will like, but enjoy cooking.

And then it comes. The best idea I had all day. Beer Brats. Bratwursts covered in peppers, and onions and then slow simmered in beer on the charcoal grill-it was pretty close to perfect. Maybe not his favorite Dutch oven recipe, but he sure does love that grill. Lucky for me he took the bait! The only "dish" it requires is a throw away aluminum pan, and plates if you choose not to use paper. Paper of course was the only way we were going tonight. Yes, pure bliss. No dishes, and I got to observe the grill master (a pretty handsome sight) instead of having to assist in anything. Genius I tell you. I should start keeping a list of all those easy, but fun for the hubs to cook recipes close by just for days like today. Happy hubs and even happier (and much relieved) wife.

Charcoal Beer Brats
Bratwursts of your liking (use toothpicks to remember each kind-one on one end = a certain kind)
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp minced garlic
Half a stick of butter (I never said this was healthy!)
A few dashes or Worcester sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
At least 2 beer of your choice
Buns for your dogs
Disposable aluminum pan

Slice the red bell pepper and onion. Place in the aluminum pan. Nestle your brats (poke em all over with a toothpick) in the pan. Throw in the garlic, butter, and worcester sause. Season with salt and pepper. Then pour in your beer until the brats are almost fully covered. Too easy!

Heat grill over medium to medium high heat. Place aluminum pan on grill and bring the beer to a boil. Simmer the brats 15 min. Take the Bart's out and place directly on the grill grates. Give em some nice grill marks (about 5 min turning once). Place back into pan and let the juices soak back in. Cook another 5 minutes. Heat your buns and serve!

***we like to put hot Dijon mustard, creole mustard, or my personal favorite-a shallot butter worcester sauce (2 tbsp minced shallots 3-4 tbsp soft butter, 4 dashes Worcester, salt and pepper) on our buns before piling them up with the brats, onions, and pepper. Man food heaven, wife food happiness! You will definitely want to keep these recipe close by.

Sadly, I didn't cook, clean, or do the laundry today. I still haven't unpacked (Josh is so lucky I know!)  But at least my stomach is full. There is always tomorrow after all.

Happy wife,
Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment