Friday, February 7, 2014

10 Things About NOLA

10 things I've Learned so far living in New Orleans


  1. They have some of the best food. Beignets, crawfish, gumbo ,etc. Yum!

  1. You can occasionally see women's underwear hanging from rear-view mirrors of drivers cars. Think I'm kidding, I'm not. Supposedly it has something to do with Mardi Gras, but I would need a refresher course on that before giving details.

  1. Speaking of Mardi Gras-King Cakes pop up during Mardi Gras season. My hubs has declared this his favorite time of year. According to him, there is nothing better than starting your day with a black cup of coffee and a sugary filled treat. (Our favorite is Randazzo's!) Try one sometime. I've been told it's been known to change lives.

  1. The coffee of preference down here is coffee with Chicory. Chicory is the root of an endive plant. Supposedly it's added to coffee to soften the bitter edge of dark roasted coffee. Jury is still out on this one for me.

  1. It's not only hot here, it is also extremely sticky. Not a good combination most days for this Arkansas girl.

  1. Crawfish is a wonderful, glorious mud bug I can't seem to get enough of. I live for crawfish season. Sometimes I wish I were a crawfish. Until I really think about all that mud. I think I should choose something better to be.

  1. People describe themselves as "passionate" down here. Often times, I think to myself-"or maybe you are just a little crazy intense?"

  1. The pronounce street names funny down here and take offense to the miss pronunciation. Hellooo, cant they tell by my lack of accent that I'm not from here!

  1. New Orleans does not believe in left hand turns. You have to literally pass your turn, go down a block or two and then make a u-turn just to get on the road you need. Does this seem crazy to anyone else?

  1. We live in " The animals world" down here. Roof rats that want to escape from the heat and take up shop in your attic. Cock roaches that grow to the size of rats and lack any fear of humans (plus I heard they fly..YIKES). You even have massive rats, called Nutria, that grow to the size of small beavers. They sometimes hang out around the levees near my house. Some days I'm a little worried they will start thinking like the roof rats.
 
Nola love,
Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment